Tuesday 13 February 2018

Otter Water Pipit


Water Pipit - you'll just have to take my word for it!
 
A quick trip over to the Otter this morning, primarily to look for gulls. The river was heavily swollen from the overnight rain so the gulls were on the scrapes. Low numbers and little of note except for 5 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls.
Plenty of other stuff to see though, with 3 Ringed Plover, 5 or 6 Dunlin and 5 Snipe, along with small numbers of Lapwing, Curlew and Redshank amongst several Wigeon and Teal.
Most of the interest however was on the cricket pitch, where 21+ Rock Pipit were feeding with about half a dozen Pied Wagtail, 1+ Meadow Pipit and, best of all, a single Water Pipit. I moved around from the footpath to the club house to try for a better photo than the above appalling effort, but by the time I got there the bird had vanished. Water Pipit is another one of those birds that I can go a long time without seeing so I was pleased with today's bird - a species I've still yet to see in Exmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment