Sunday 17 December 2017

Update


One of at least 7 Purple Sandpipers on Maer Rocks this morning.
 
On/off Maer Rocks this morning - 12 Common Scoter, 2 Eider, 3 Dark-bellied Brent Goose and 7 Purple Sandpiper.
Off Mudbank today - the wintering Long-tailed Duck and 4 Goldeneye. Also 4 Teal.
On the 13th I paid my first visit this winter to the local Cirl site. It produced at least 8 Cirl Bunting (my highest count yet), c20+ Yellowhammer and a Reed Bunting. A couple short subsequent visits have also produced c50+ Linnet, Redpoll, Bullfinch and Mistle Thrush.

 
 
The Long-tailed Duck prefers the area between Mudbank and West Lodge but it's always way out in the middle of the river. If there's any choppiness, and the bird's diving, it can be difficult to find. Late this evening gave me my best views yet but, as you can see from the photo, the views weren't exactly great.
 

Today I did my annual December trip to Powderham Sawmills in the vain hope of finding a Penduline Tit. No luck but I managed to photograph this Cetti's Warbler  - the first time a photo of this species has featured on my blog. I've still only ever seen one in Exmouth - a bird in brambles along Mudbank during the big freeze of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment