Saturday 16 July 2016

Moth Mix


True Lover's Knot
 
An eclectic mix of moths last night. I was quite excited to trap my first Water Veneer but I failed miserably to get a photo of it. Other species trapped last night included Buff Arches, Common Emerald, Blood Vein, Small Blood-vein, Small Fan-footed Wave, Single-dotted Wave, Riband Wave, Garden Carpet, Ruddy Carpet, Common Carpet, Yellow Shell, Phoenix, Barred Straw, Slender Pug, Toadflax Pug, Lime-speck Pug, V-Pug, Green Pug, Double-striped Pug, Clouded Border, Early Thorn, Scalloped Oak, Swallow-tailed Moth, Willow Beauty, Common Wave, Elephant Hawkmoth, Rosy Footman, Dingy Footman, Common Footman, Buff Ermine, Heart and Club, Heart and Dart, Flame, True Lover's Knot, Double Square-spot, Bright-line Brown-eye, Clay, Smoky Wainscot, Dun-bar, Dark Arches, Minor Agg, Cloaked Minor, Uncertain, Oak Nycteoline, Spectacle and Snout. Micro species included Small Magpie, Maple Button, Sallow Button, London Dowd, Beautiful Knot-horn, Large Grey, European Corn-borer, Rosy Tabby, Elder Pearl, Bramble Shoot Moth, Codling Moth, Bird's Nest Moth, Diamond-back Moth and Long-horned Flat-body.


Toadflax Pug


A dark Rosy Tabby (Endotricha flammealis).


European Corn-borer


Riband Wave


Maple Button - Acleris forsskaleana


Sallow Button - Acleris hastiana


London Dowd - Blastobasis lacticolella - a species that was apparently accidentally introduced into Britain around 1946, from its native Madeira (norfolkmoths.co.uk).


Large Grey - Scoparia subfusca  - a new one for me but I'm wondering if I may have overlooked it in the past - it's not supposed to be uncommon.


Light Brown Apple Moth - a very common 'Tortrix' that I rarely bother to photograph.


Oak Nycteoline - I photograph all the Oak Nycteolines I catch as they're incredibly variable. I don't think I've seen one quite like this before.


Bird's Nest Moth - Tinea trinotella - the larvae apparently feed on detritus and food remains in birds' nests - nice! This moth normally exhibits three spots on the forewing but this one appears to be a spot short. This is a new moth for me.
 
 
I'm not sure what this is. It's clearly very worn and I'm wondering if it's possibly 'The Shears' - going on the apparent pale scissors-shaped marking on the left fore-wing. The other faded marking seem to fit too and the size is ok. My gut feeling however is that it isn't one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Micro sp


Dichrorampha sp - the Maer - found whilst walking the dog this afternoon, along with the plume moth species pictured below.


I think this is Yarrow Plume - Gillmeria pallidactyla.

No comments:

Post a Comment