Saturday 5 March 2016

Caspian......I think possibly not (Edit)


Edit - too many anomalies for 'cachinnans'  - the more I look at these photos the more I think it's just a Lesser-black-backed Gull. The dark upper-wing and underwing certainly point strongly towards Lesser Black-back.
 




Inner primaries look slightly paler than outers but that underwing looks yuk. I didn't have the opportunity for a good flight view as the bird lifted rapidly and disappeared downriver into horrible light. Leeb?









4 comments:

  1. Odd looking bird Matt - I think I would go with Lesser Black-backed too despite the paler inner primaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt, agree with LBB, don't see all that many March 2cy's so maybe they stand out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, thanks Tim - tend to expect first yr Lesser Bbs to be darker above n below, with longer wings, so this one caught me out. Cheers. Matt

      Delete