Tuesday 3 November 2015

Willow Warbler


Willow Warbler

I had a quick look out the back after work. The weather was truly awful, with unrelenting rain, but I managed to see the Serin a number of times - same place, same habits.
In the 'northern corner' sallows I was really surprised to find a Willow Warbler. I always like seeing late birds like this but the heavy rain and low light levels meant I couldn't study it as much as I'd have liked. At this time of year there has got to be a chance that it's of a more north-easterly origin but it wasn't particularly grey-looking. The features I did note included a subtle primrose wash to the face, breast and flanks and quite green upperparts. The legs appeared more grey-pink than orangey-brown but the light was so dreadful that I wouldn't swear to this. The bird moved around very slowly, hopping ponderously from branch to branch. It always looked quite big and wasn't heard to call.
Also on Warren View - 1+ Goldcrest, 2+ Chiffchaff, 1 Coal Tit, 3 Redwing, 2 Song Thrush and 1 Sparrowhawk.
Yesterday morning there were 3 Mediterranean Gulls in with c3/400+ Black-headed Gulls.


No comments:

Post a Comment