Friday 9 October 2015

Snow Bunting

I cycled to Orcombe Point this evening. I zipped around the Bristol Schools Camp but the trees and bushes yielded nothing more than 3 Goldcrests  and a single Chiffchaff. I then did the Dung Field and moved into the adjacent 'Top Field', hoping to flush a rare pipit from the long grass. I flushed a small number of Meadow Pipits and then, to my surprise, a Snow Bunting! I had a brief view of it on the deck but after that only flight views. It was a nightmare to pin down and the fading light meant I had to leave it, so unfortunately no photograph. The only other birds of note were 2 Swallows hawking around as the sun set.
This is only my second record of Snow Bunting for Orcombe following a 'fly-by' last November. Not the Devon rarity it used to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment