Wednesday 14 October 2015

Ring Ouzel and Rare Bunting


Goldcrest - a silent individual and one of just 4 seen on a short visit on 13/10.
 
On Monday I recorded my first Redwings of the autumn when 5 flew over the house at first light. An evening visit to Orcombe produced my first Snipe of the autumn, 12 Swallow, 1 Kestrel and a single Stonechat.
On Tuesday evening the Stonechat tally had grown to four birds but it was otherwise quiet with just 4 Goldcrest and a single Grey Wagtail noted.
The Ridgway's Cackling Goose was present in the estuary on both dates.


One of four Stonechats present on 13/10. This male was one of two in the Dung Field.

 
A strange monochrome light on Tuesday evening - looking across to Berry Head.
 
This evening I again tried to blitz as much of Orcombe as possible in the fading light. I recorded 1 Ring Ouzel, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Reed Bunting, c40+ Meadow Pipit, just 1 Goldcrest and 3 Chiffchaff. I also had a bunting sp fly straight over my head calling 'tsic' repeatedly. It was definitely one of the rarer species, but worryingly didn't look especially small. Sadly the whole of the Orcombe area is being farmed for dairy cattle so I didn't have anywhere obvious to search for this bird. Had there been one or two stubble fields, like there always used to be, I may have been in with a chance.
This morning, at first light, the adult Mediterranean Gull was again present on Warren View Football Pitch.
 

This evening's Ring Ouzel - bringing new meaning to the term record shot!


I stayed til nearly dark looking for that f****n bunting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment