Sunday 14 September 2014

Easterlies but Few Birds


Whinchat

I was up on Orcombe at first light and conditions felt good. A fresh easterly wind greeted me as I got out the car at the top of Gore Lane so I was quite hopeful. Despite covering plenty of ground however I didn't see too much. Totals included 2+ tree pipit, 8+ raven, 1 whinchat, c10+ chiffchaff, c100+ meadow pipit, 8+ grey wagtail, 28+ swallow, 12+ house martin, 1+ alba wagtail, 1 kestrel, 2 whitethroat, 4+ wheatear, 1 reed bunting, 5 yellow wagtail, 1 blackcap, 24 canada goose, 1 great spotted woodpecker, 1 sedge warbler and 1 stonechat. The most unusual sighting was a great northern diver that powered over high west above me as I was walking around the dung field.
Mudbank produced 21 dark-bellied brent goose, 8 mediterranean gull, 78 pintail, 44+ little egret, 1 common sandpiper and 37 mute swan.


Grey skies and a watery early morning sun contributed to a 'birdy' feel today but it was fairly quiet.


Three of five Yellow Wagtails perched in an ash tree up in the 'top fields'.


24 Canada Geese heading east over the Bristol Schools camp.


Robin


Wheatear


French-ringed juvenile Great Black-backed Gull - Mudbank - orange darvic ring (black lettering) right tarsus 4:AXZ and metal ring left tarsus.

No comments:

Post a Comment