Saturday 7 June 2014

Pomarine Skua


Orcombe Point - 0510 - 0730 - A flat sea and gloomy skies after over night thunder storms and heavy rain. I was hoping for a grounded late passerine migrant or two but the sea came up with the decent stuff. The best bird being a fully-spooned pale phase pomarine skua that I initially picked up heading purposefully west. It was very distant though and soon pitched down on the sea for several minutes. I kept an eye on it and watched as it lifted off and drifted slowly back east, making a couple half-hearted flaps towards kittiwakes before ditching down once again. I didn't see it again after that but I think there is a chance it will hang around. It certainly didn't look in a hurry to get anywhere. Also this morning I was pleased to see yesterday's drake eider still present. It spent ages hauled up on a sand bar off the seafront and was still there when I left. Other birds included just 3 sandwich tern, 2 shelduck, 4 mallard, 3 sanderling, 1 wader sp, 10 common scoter, 3 fulmar, 1 grey heron, 1 great northern diver (non-breeding plumaged bird again) and 14+ swift.

No comments:

Post a Comment