Saturday 17 May 2014

Sky Watching


I kept  looking up as I checked Orcombe at first light and I've spent some some time staring skywards from the garden today but I've seen very little. This great northern diver did a loop over Orcombe Point early on, changing its northerly course to an easterly one. Note the open bill again. Migrant wise it was dire this morning but several whitethroat are on territory and 3 swift went through. At least 5 stock dove are feeding in the top fields and there were 10 present on 15/5. This whole week has been quiet, the highlights being 4+ wheatear and a reed warbler on 14/5.






singing male whitethroat



Looking east, not long after sunrise, towards Otter Head with Sandy Bay caravan park in the foreground


Stock doves have suddenly appeared again. There were small numbers present last summer but I haven't seen any on Orcombe for months.



No kites from the house today. I've had several over the last five years during these influxes so I was fairly confident I'd get them today but it wasn't to be. Peregrines are frequently seen hunting the lower estuary from the house and they often circle right overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment